America’s Top Healthiest Places to Live (Of course you’ll still need health insurance)
Health insurance is a huge expense, even if you have chosen catastrophic health insurance coverage to protect you in the event of a serious crisis. If you want to take a different route, and concentrate on living a longer and healthier life, you may need a change of scenery.
Many areas are known for their unique and healthy way of living which may benefit you greatly by providing you with the tools and environment that will promote a healthier life. Of course, even the healthiest person in the word still may need catastrophic health insurance to protect them during tough times.
The Healthiest Places to Live in the United States and Around the World
The Centrum® Healthiest Cities Study for 2009 lists the top 50 healthy places to live within the United States. The study was conducted based on the levels of mental health, nutrition and exercise, physical health, and life balance of the residents located in the cities. Here are the top five. Each of these cities scored extremely well in almost all of the above listed categories.
- San Jose, California
- Washington, D.C.
- San Francisco, California
- Seattle, Washington (this study also included the city’s surrounding metro area)
- Salt Lake City, Utah
If you are interested in living in a city in the United States that is healthy and active, these five cities may be the best choice for you. However, if you want to see a little bit more of the world, there are several healthy places for you to live in other areas. The following are just a few of what many call the healthiest places in the world.
- New Zealand- this country offers an active lifestyle and plenty of fresh fish and produce to boot. It’s not unusual for New Zealander’s to live well into their eighties.
- Costa Rica- The people of Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica are known for living longer lives, many enjoying life up to 100 years of age. This area focuses on hard work, healthy diets, and family.
- Panama- With this country’s river, thermal pools, beautiful landscapes, and temperatures that mostly stay below 90 degrees Fahrenheit, this country is a retirement dream. Of course, you don’t have to wait until you are 60 to enjoy the healthy benefits of this great country.
- Vilcabamba, Ecuador- One of the most unique and healthy places to live outside the United States has to be Vilcabamba. In this area, you will be able to experience great year round weather that allow you to grow as many fruits and veggies that you desire. This area also has very little pollution, wonderful scenery, and a stress free lifestyle.
Why You Still Need Catastrophic Health Insurance Coverage, Even When You Are Healthy
Even in the healthiest places in the United States and around the world, health insurance, at least catastrophic health insurance, is a must. Accidents and emergencies can still occur when you least expect them, and for that you should maintain at least catastrophic health insurance. This type of insurance will protect you in case of an emergency, but if you happen to need to visit you family doctor, you will have to pay for the visit out of pocket.
Catastrophic health insurance offers a low monthly payment and a high deductible, but for a healthy person living in a healthy area, this type of insurance may be all you need.
Is catastrophic health insurance right for you? Check our other articles that thoroughly outline the details of catastrophic health insurance and it’s benefits.